Sunday, July 22, 2007

In moments of pain - introduction

IN MOMENTS OF PAIN

“He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” Psalms 147:3

“The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.” Psalms 34:18

There are a lot of places in the Bible which touches on the heart and compassion that God has for the broken-hearted. Unlike most people who will generally shun the emotionally wounded with all kinds of excuses, God very specifically mentions that He is close to the broken-hearted.

This is actually a very important revelation and for those who have been very badly wounded before, you may be able to agree with me that such an assurance is actually very comforting. In times like these, we need someone to be there for us, and we need to know that someone can truly understand how we feel.

In this series I am going to touch a lot on spiritual, mental, verbal and emotional abuse. Abuse of any kind can do a lot of damage to the soul and spirit of a person. I am going to share on issues that many people struggle with. And I will also share about the hope that Jesus has for those crushed in their spirits.

All of the issues that I am going to touch on have a great potential to bring so much depression and pain. And unless these people receive the healing love of God, many of them are going to continue living with those wounds.

The things that I am going to share are solely based on my own experiences unless stated otherwise. I believe that it is important to let people know that I have been through it, and that I do understand what it is like.

One thing that I will want to clarify before starting on this series is that no one has to go through all these. All of these are results of living in a fallen world. And I also want to make it very clear that none of these signify spiritual weaknesses. People hurt not because they are weak or because they do not have a close relationship with God. No wounds can be healed solely by reading the Bible, praying, and going for bible studies.

Please bear in mind that there are going to be people who will find it hard to swallow in what the Lord wants me to share. If this is the case, I will suggest that you go through it very slowly. Do not rush through the process; rather, let God bring you through it at your own pace. What I am going to do is to slowly uncover many things that we long to sweep under the carpet and forget, but living in denial will never do any good.

It has always been my prayer and hope to reach out to the hurting with my experiences. And I pray that this article will open your eyes to see many things.

No comments: